Since time immemorial, water lilies have captivated humans’ attention towards its enchanting beauty. The plant has been gorgeously immortalized in religion and art. Majestic palaces and gardens were once its home, but today it found its place even in your home garden. Intrigued? We will tell you how you can grow and care for water lilies in your river side patio.
Types of Water Lilies
Beginners! Go for the hardy lilies because they are easy to plant and maintain. They will bloom even in winters if planted below the freezing line of the pond. Tropical water lilies, on the other hand, need a little extra care and attention. But, the wait is worth the effort because they have stronger fragrance and their flowers bloom even in vibrant hues of purple and blues. Another point of difference between the two is that the hardy water lily is day blooming whereas the tropical one can bloom during the day as well as nighttime.
How to Grow Water Lilies?
True, a pond covered with water lilies do look attractive, but if the river body gets completely covered, it will inhibit the growth of flora and fauna living deep inside. Plus, they have the tendency to propagate. In no time, you will see your pond covered with them. So to prevent such a situation –
1. Use Plastic Container or Baskets : Shallow and wide plastic containers that have holes punched inside.
2. Line the Periphery of the Container with Burlap : To retain the soil in the container, use a landscape fabric or a burlap else the soil would leach out and make the pond water murky.
3. Add Clay and Fertilizer : Fill the container with clay, silt or loam and mix it with the aquatic fertilizer.
4. Remove the Old Leaves : Before placing the plant, make sure you have removed the old, fleshy and thick roots and leaves.
5. Know the Right Placement : Plant the tuber at about 45° angle.
6. Keep the Soil Intact: Add pea gravel or rocks to the container to retain the soil in the pot. There are chances of the soil washing away from the planted pot.
7. Take Note of the Height : Now, leave the pot in the pond at a depth of around 18 inches. If required, raise its depth by placing the pot on the rocks. Ensure that the leaves float on the surface.
How to Care for Water Lilies?
Water lily care can be easy only if you take the following precautions, else you might have a hard time with dealing the mess in your pond.
1. Plant lilies in wide mesh crates, baskets or containers.
2. Use the heavy topsoil instead of light, chalky or sandy soil. The reason is that the topsoil is free from pesticides.
3. Do NOT add peat to the soil.
4. Once the flowers start blooming, remove the dying flowers so as to prevent them from sinking to the bottom.
5. Regularly remove the dying leaves, thick roots from the plant.
6. For getting maximum bloom during the season (June – September), plant the lilies at a place that receives maximum sunlight.
7. Never place the lilies just beneath the water fountain; the heavy splashing of water might kill them.
Article Source: https://EzineArticles.com/expert/Peter_Van_Smith/2090111